Also in the audience were Stephen Schwartz, who wrote the music and lyrics for Wicked, and Winnie Holzman, the musical's writer. Sitting behind us was Eden Espinosa's family. Needless to say, I had some pretty good seats. Thank you, Jaymi!
Because I've seen the show so many times, people sometimes ask me which performance is the best. For a long time, the show in NY topped the list but ladies and gentlemen, we have a new winner. Tonight's show was awesome. Eden and Megan's chemistry always amazes me and both leading ladies brought their A-game. I think the combination of having an audience full of family and friends and Wicked fans helped the cause despite this being their second show of the day.
In honor of the Wicked leaving Los Angeles, I thought I'd list some of my favorite moments from the musical:
Just a warning, if you haven't seen the musical, you might not want to continue...
- Galinda's entrance in the bubble: "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to answer. That was rhetorical."
- Elphaba's tirade against the student body when she first appears: "No, I'm not seasick. Yes, I've always been green. No, I didn't chew grass as a child."
- The last part of The Wizard and I: When it's done right, it'll give you chills. Yes, Eden is *that* good.
- What is this feeling: They added parts where Elphaba mocks Galinda's hair toss, etc. during the song. The first time I saw this, I was in tears from laughing so hard.
- Fiyero's entrance and near collision with Elphaba: They added this part shortly after Wicked came to London. "Your driver nearly ran me over!" "Well, maybe he saw green and thought it meant go."
- The dance scene: It's so endearing to see the part when Elphaba and Galinda form their friendship. Also, the music in the background is so sappy that it makes it all the more touching.
- Popular: I heart Megan Hilty as Galinda and the way she performs this scene. I've seen Eden break character and explode in a fit of giggles (twice) because Megan is just so funny. The hair toss portion deserves extra props. Especially when they added the toss-toss no hands.
- Scene in the forest with Elphie, Fiyero and the lion cub: "No matter how self-absorbed and shallow you pretend to be..." "Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow."
- Name change: "Since Doctor Dillamond had his own way of pronouncing my name, in solidarity and to express my outrage, I will henceforward be known no longer as Galinda, but as simply, Glinda."
- One Short Day: The choreography and set for this number is brilliant. Plus, at the end of the song, Glinda acknowledges that they are best friends. Awww...
- Defying Gravity: C'mon, this one is a gimme. Elphie flying high above the soldiers and citizens of Oz and belting out powerhouse notes. Speaking of, Eden's Defying Gravity was spectacular tonight. I love it when she can hits those high notes. Awesome.
- Elphie and Nessarose duet: Elphie sings a spell to save Boq while Nessarose mourns the possible loss of her love. This song isn't in the album but I wish it were. The harmony of both voices is one of the prettiest parts of the musical.
- Elphie/Glinda/Fiyero all meet at the ball: Glinda: "What? What are you saying? You mean all this time... the two of you... behind my back..." Elphaba: "No, Glinda it wasn't like that!" Fiyero: "Actually, it was..." For such a serious scene, this part cracks me up.
- The Yellow Brick Road: This entire scene is so good. They have the drama from the recent death, tension from the love triangle, and a fight scene with two witches armed with wand and broom. "Ooooo, let me go! I almost had her!" "Ha!" I only wish that Glinda would manage to grab Elphie's hat and start smacking her with it at the end of the fight. There was a video on YouTube with Cheno and Idina that did that.
- No Good Deed: This song is pretty intense but I love the part when it quiets down and she names everyone who's been hurt by her actions. The "Fiyerooooo" that culminates in the end of that list can give me chills just like The Wizard and I.
- The mob: I blame this one on Doris. [quietly] wickeeed [loud] WICKEEEED. Also, if you notice towards the end of dialogue between Madam Morrible and Glinda, the mob slowly unfreezes, moving backwards in slow motion perfectly timed until their conversation is done and then they go back into real time. I always thought this part was cool.
- For Good: Tears in eyes. Tears. If Glinda and Elphie start crying, there's no way I can hold back the tears.
- The end scene: Glinda and Elphaba singing together one last time. The scarecrow plopping Elphie's hat on her head. Love it.
And SF here I come...?
1 comment:
I will add two things that I love from the album:
Confessa and WOT?!?!
Hehehehe. Just let me know when you're visiting!
Post a Comment